Ron Paul opposes linux - was Re: [OT] Isolationist vs. Non-Interventionist [was: Re: HB 139]

Benjamin Bytheway ben at vrusp.com
Thu Jan 24 14:16:11 MST 2008

> Trade organizations and governing bodies are necessary because of our
> unwillingness to trade freely.  For example the softwood lumber dispute
> with Canada.  If we would stop being hypocritical about the trade issue,
> then we would have free trade and the governing bodies and arbitration
> groups would disappear because they simply wouldn't be needed.
>
> Free trade has always meant whatever we want it to mean.  This is a
> problem and it sounds like Ron Paul would make it much much worse.

Why do you continue to make strawman arguments about Ron's position? Maybe
we're not articulating it well, but Ron is for FREE TRADE, LOW or NO
TARIFFS.  His rejection of international trade organizations is that they
usually result in managed trade and force the US to give up sovereignty and
adopt laws and practices that are detrimental.  Again, RON IS NOT A
PROTECTIONIST.  He's spoken out numerous times against protectionism and the
psuedo-free-trade agreements that are effectively managed trade.

"We don't need government agreements to have free trade.  We merely need to
lower or eliminate taxes on the American people, without regard to what
other nations do.  Remember, tariffs are simply taxes on consumers.  Americans
have always bought goods from abroad; the only question is how much our
government taxes us for doing so.  As economist Henry Hazlitt explained,
tariffs simply protect politically-favored special interests at the expense
of consumers, while lowering wages across the economy as a whole.  Hazlitt,
Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek, Murray Rothbard, and countless other
economists have demolished every fallacy concerning tariffs, proving
conclusively that unilateral elimination of tariffs benefits the American
people.  We don't need CAFTA or any other international agreement to reap
the economic benefits promised by CAFTA supporters, we only need to change
our own harmful economic and tax policies.  Let the rest of the world hurt
their citizens with tariffs; if we simply reduce tariffs and taxes at home,
we will attract capital and see our economy flourish."

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2005/tst060605.htm

I don't care if you support or agree with Ron or not, but I won't stand by
while his position is distorted.