HB 139 (Wireless Internet Access Requirements, Chief Sponsor: Bradley M. Daw)

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Thu Jan 24 13:24:08 MST 2008

On 24 Jan 2008, at 12:05, Steve wrote:

> [...]
> another may not, out of fear the child will fall and harm themselves.
> Therefore it is not YOUR job to protect MY children.
>
> As far as pedophiles not deserving to have free wireless internet
> access, this law does nothing to prevent that at all.
> And to be frank there really is nothing you can do except punish a
> person for creating / distributing and possessing such materials, I'm
> relatively certain we have a law like that in place already.
> You could extend the penalty for being a pedophile to require no
> internet access at all.  But how do you let them re-integrate into
> society.  If you don't want them re-integrating then why let them out
> at all?  Either the criminal has paid their dues, to society, or they
> have not.  You cannot pass a law that punishes someone for something
> that they have not yet done, nor attempted to do.  If you think the
> current punishment for being a pedophile is too lax, then work on a
> bill to strengthen our penalties against it.  I would recommend you
> lengthen sentences and require regular contact with a clinical
> psychiatrist at their own expense for the remainder of their life, or
> until the psychiatrist can say with certainty that the offender will
> not re-offend and is willing to be held criminally liable if his
> assertion is incorrect.  Then again I would recommend that for any
> felon.
>
> Justice must always be "ex post facto", and the justice system works
> best when laws are passed that recognize this fact.
> Laws designed to "prevent" crime, are never successful and place an
> undue burden upon society.
> As soon as we start to pass laws that infringe upon the greater good
> of society in the interests of protecting society from a few
> individuals, we are trading freedom for security and making a whole
> new set of criminals out of otherwise ordinary citizens.
> Usually while doing nothing to actually protect us from the "bad
> guys".
>
> The truth plain and simple, is that this law makes a criminal out of
> any business owner who decides to leave an open WiFi point for the
> convenience of his/her customers and/or employees and/or society at
> large.
>
> Since you are a resident of Orem, I urge you to go to
> http://www.plug.org/ the Provo Linux users group (About half of us are
> actually in Orem), and sign up for the mailing list there.  A sizeable
> portion of your technically literate and concerned constituents are
> members there and engage in lively debate on political topics all the
> time.  You could receive feedback in advance from hundreds of people,
> whom the laws you are proposing would effect, before you propose
> legislation that boils down to nonsense and you end up losing more
> voters.
> I can promise that you will be received well, and this simple act
> would enhance your credibility with your technically literate

"I would recommend you ... require regular contact with a clinical
psychiatrist at their own expense for the remainder of their life, or
until the psychiatrist can say with certainty that the offender will
not re-offend and is willing to be held criminally liable if his
assertion is incorrect.  Then again I would recommend that for any
felon."

I do not agree that anyone should be held liable for the acts of
anyone else.  But that is a tangent to this discussion.

Other than that, I agree with what you said and I say, once again,
very well written.

Brad actually lives a couple streets away from me.  I hope he sees
this as constructive criticism and accepts your offer to check out the
mailing list.  If he is going to sponsor technical legislation he
really should understand what he is doing.  Imagine if all politicians
actually consulted with their constituents.  I think that would be a
sign or something.

Jonathan