HB 139 (Wireless Internet Access Requirements, Chief Sponsor: Bradley M. Daw)

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Thu Jan 24 11:04:59 MST 2008

> I couldn't care less about other countries liking us or not.  I
> complete agree with your points.  However, I always cringe when the
> primary reasoning (or implied reasoning) for not intervening in
> foreign affairs is so that we'll be liked.  I don't mean to jump on
> your Von.  Your point is factual--we aren't liked--and we aren't liked
> because we throw our weight around.  But if a person ran around in
> life trying only to do things (or not do things) solely to be liked, I
> would consider that person shallow, weak, dependant, and lost.
> America should try to be a good neighbor, but if France doesn't like
> us for reason X or Y, who flippin' cares?

The point is, if China came and put a military base in Mexico or Canada,
and started bombing us from it, and continued doing so for a decade,
then made up intelligence to support invading us, killing millions of
our civilians in the process, we'd be fighting back, too.  Paul is of
the opinion that we shouldn't be over there, militarily, unless we're
prepared to deal with the consequences of doing so (i.e. 9/11, and all
the other terrorist attacks).  He thinks our troops would do better to
be, you know, protecting our own country instead of being used as
leverage to make every other country on the planet do our bidding.

Greg