Isolationist vs. Non-Interventionist [was: Re: HB 139]

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Jan 24 10:08:09 MST 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 08:25:21AM -0700, Nathan wrote:
> I don't want to start a flame war, but the one reason I won't vote for
> Ron Paul is that he is an isolationist.  I don't think that is the way
> to deal with the rest of the world.
>
> That said, I do like a lot of his idea in government like the
> elimination of most bureaucracies and others that he has, I (notice this
> is my opinion) think that we need a much more engaged way to deal with
> other countries.

I suspect you are conflating "isolationist" with
"non-interventionist". The isolationist wants to isolate the US from
the rest of the world. The non-interventionist would trade and
otherwise engage in the world, but end the forceful intervention into
the affairs of other countries, e.g. overthrowing democratically
elected presidents and PMs, as the US and UK did in Iran in 1953. The
non-intervener would respect the foreign policy of the Framers, which
Washington stated as "trade with all, alliance with none." You should
be able to find Washington's farewell address on the net; it is a good
summary of his positions and warnings for succeeding administrations.

The modern isolationists are those who pursue a foreign policy that
isolates us from the rest of the world, such as forcing "democracy"
down some folks' throats at gunpoint. Such policies tend to produce
resentment and resentment often turns into unreasoning hatred, not the
sort of thing any of us really wants.