RIP Gentoo

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Jan 23 12:03:45 MST 2008

Steve wrote:
> I've used about every distro out there.
>
> Every 6 months or so I'll download the latest stable release from each
> major family of linux (RPM, DEB, Source Compiled etc) and give it a
> try.
> For the last 2 years I've been extremely pleased with my Ubuntu
> experience (Ubuntu family anyways), and use it pretty much
> exclusively.
>
> However as of late I'm growing more and more dis-satisfied with the
> Ubuntu x64 desktop experience.
> Flash and Java are both broken on my system, and try as I might I
> can't seem to repair them.
> Now this might be a problem with all versions of Linux in the x64
> family,  I haven't experimented enough to say for sure.
> But for me at least Flash and Java on x64 are nearly deal breakers for me.

That's broken on every distro.  Unless of course you install the 32-bit
plugin thunk, nspluginwrapper (availabe in package form on Ubuntu I
think).  I have both Java and Flash running quite nicely on Fedora 8.
Although Fedora's native Java won't run most of the Java applets yet, so
I just install the normal 32-bit Sun JVM.  Drop the plugin in place,
tell the 32-bit plugin thunk to refresh itself, and Firefox sees it just
fine.

> That said, the Ubuntu family has the broadest support base out there,
> and people in the forums are usually pretty quick to solve any
> problems that you may run into.

And they solve the 32-bit plugin problem too.