LVM in enterprise

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Jan 23 10:33:54 MST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 10:24 -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 10:21 -0700, Dave Long wrote:
> > My manager has used Veritas Volume Manager extensively and swares by
> > it.  However, the license fees per processor can be quite rediculous,
> > so I suggested LVM.  I was wondering what your experiences with LVM2
> > in an enterprise environment have been and would you be confident in
> > replacing Veritas with LVM?
>
> LVM is extremely reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Nor would I, although we did run into a bug with a combination of a Dell
PowerVault and LVM which caused the volumes to stop responding whenever
we created more than a single snapshot. We never did find a solution
other than just making one snapshot. Still, it's been solid every other
time I've used it and I wouldn't hesitate again.

What are the features of Veritas that he likes? I've never used it
before so have no idea if LVM would be a comparable replacement.

Corey