RIP Gentoo

Carl Youngblood carl at youngbloods.org
Wed Jan 23 09:18:07 MST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 9:03 AM, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> wrote:
> I'm sorry, but this sort of attitude bugs me. Let me guess, you're a
> developer? As a general rule, developers don't seem to understand the
> world of system administrators. I know, I've been both. There's a big
> difference between babysitting 2 or 3 boxen and administering the
> infrastructure of a medium to large organization.
>
> If you want to be bleeding edge, Kubuntu is fine. So are Fedora and
> openSUSE. These are great for hobbyists, developers and people who want
> to learn about new tech before it reaches the enterprise distros.
> They're not great for servers. I know, I've tried. Most people who do it
> acknowledge they're insane. (/me waves to Dan Hanks)

I understand this attitude but as a Rails developer specifically,
setup/deployment/hosting becomes much easier on a more recent distro.
For this very reason we prefer Gutsy over the LTS release because
otherwise we must compile a bunch of needed stuff by hand.  It depends
on how cutting edge the technology you're using is.  In the case of
Ruby on Rails, it's quite bleeding edge, so it becomes much easier to
use a more developmental distro, even if it means more updates and
consequently more maintenance.  I understand that the scenario you
mentioned is different (maintaining many servers), but anyway, just
wanted to throw in my two cents.

Cheers,
Carl