Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Jan 22 17:52:40 MST 2008

Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> writes:
> It's been said in this thread that we are very much context sensitive
> beings.

That was my phrase, actually.

> The context of this statement was with taking your creations to the
> grave with you, to no more be enjoyed by anyone. As for making
> money, yeah, you could still say that it's selfish for someone to
> sell their software without releasing the source to make a buck, but
> then they need the buck, so it balances out in a way. For example,
> it's considered rude to eat in front of people (who don't also have
> food), but if it's 4:00 and you haven't had lunch, and you wolf down
> a fast food burger, the necessity of it balances against the
> rudeness, and upon learning you had no lunch, one offended party
> might then dismiss your "rude" actions.

"Taking creations to the grave" in the context of software is an
unfortunate side-effect of the application of copyright to software
without any changes.  It makes little sense to have a software
copyright lifetime that is as long as that for other published works,
considering the original goal of copyright to both allow content
producers to make a profit as well as enrich the public domain.
Further changes to copyright over the years have made this even worse.
This is where the real 'rudeness' has taken place, in my opinion.

                --Levi