Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Tue Jan 22 17:39:23 MST 2008

* Levi Pearson [Tue, 22 Jan 2008 at 10:49 -0700]
<quote>
> Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> writes:
>
> > That's the interesting thing about sharing. Sharing is gracious and
> > unselfish, but demanding someone else share with you, or not sharing
> > yourself, are both selfish. I'm not demanding anything, I'm just saying
> > what I think is selfish.
>
> Is it very gracious to call someone selfish because they want to sell
> their software without source code?

It's been said in this thread that we are very much context sensitive
beings. The context of this statement was with taking your creations to
the grave with you, to no more be enjoyed by anyone. As for making
money, yeah, you could still say that it's selfish for someone to sell
their software without releasing the source to make a buck, but then
they need the buck, so it balances out in a way. For example, it's
considered rude to eat in front of people (who don't also have food),
but if it's 4:00 and you haven't had lunch, and you wolf down a fast
food burger, the necessity of it balances against the rudeness, and upon
learning you had no lunch, one offended party might then dismiss your
"rude" actions.

> > So you would have all building plans ever be secret never again to be
> > seen by anyone even past the death of the architects? Wow, that's
> > progress there. We could still be struggling to build domes and arches.
> > I believe in the original copyright as set forth by the
> > founding fathers. I abhor this new copyright is intrinsic and automatic
> > and lasts forever paradigm. It stinks to high heaven.
>
> You seem to have a hard time with your reading comprehension today.
> At no point did I advocate the universal hiding of source code or the
> illegalization of reverse-engineering.  Please stop putting words and
> bad arguments in my mouth.

You were bringing up an architect's designs as a red herring, I was just
pointing out we need sharing in any field as much as in the software
world. I think I went a little too far with it. Oh well, I apologize.

Von Fugal