Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Tue Jan 22 14:17:15 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 13:14 -0700, Levi Pearson wrote:
> The 'religion' term is a loaded one, so it was probably not the best
> choice, but I'm not sure what to call beliefs that are held without a
> solid logical foundation.

Perhaps a better word would be "magical"? Especially in this state.

My religion is based on adherence to principles that others may not
accept, but my acceptance of those principles depends on experimentation
and reason. Some people are religious about Free Software, but given the
right starting points their positions are logical.

You were arguing against magical thinking. As in the famous:
        1) Write software.
        2) Release source code.
        *magic happens here*
        10) Profit!

It is possible to make a living writing Free Software, but it's a
careful balancing act. If you don't think about what happens between
steps 2 and 10, you're hoping for magic to replace hard work.