Freedom and Greed

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Jan 22 14:04:19 MST 2008

"William Attwood" <wattwood at gmail.com> writes:

> Let us jump back to software, and avoid morals and ethics; both of which are
> relative.

This is the crux of it, isn't it?  There are powerful arguments that
morality/ethics are not indeed relative.  I think most people agree
that there are at least a subset of ethical rules that are universal.
Our nation is founded upon that idea, at least.

Of course, the problem is that with only logic and self-reflection as
tools, it's difficult to figure out to everyone's satifsaction what
those universal rules are.  The philosophers have been at it for
thousands of years, though, so we're not completely lost.

I think the philisophical grounding of ethics has value even to those
who subscribe to the religious view that ethics are defined by deity,
since it makes it possible to find common ground with those who don't
follow the same religion or who follow no religion at all.

Anyway, I hope this little digression from a digression doesn't lead
to another debate; I just wanted to share my thoughts on this and
perhaps shed some light on my motivation for the last debate.

                --Levi