Freedom and Greed

Mister E Mister.Ed at AgoraCart.com
Tue Jan 22 13:12:16 MST 2008

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 12:18 -0700, Jason Edwards wrote:
>> For me, closed-source software is morally wrong because it's built on
>> top of other people's ideas.
>
> Just like making a living writing books is morally wrong because there
> are only seven stories[1] and photocopiers fundamentally alter the
> economics of publishing. Just like making a living writing music is
> morally wrong because it's just a rearrangement of previously discovered
> musical notes. Just liking licensing your software under the GPL is
> morally wrong because copyright is morally wrong and the GPL depends on
> copyright.

sounds like a bunch of academic mumbo jumbo from pocketbook
philosophers.  By the same concepts expressed in this thread, it's
morally wrong to debate the subject because it's using thoughts already
expressed in some form or another by other people..  It's morally wrong
to communicate such mumbo jumbo using communication methods previously
discovered :)

Mister Ed