Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Jan 22 13:14:51 MST 2008

Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> writes:

> Levi, your careful logic is devastating this group. ;-)

Well, my goal was to eliminate any perception of moral superiority by
people who choose to only use Free Software.  It's a fine thing to do
so, but it's not so fine to look down on others who choose to also use
non-Free software.  Free software has many benefits, but moral
superiority is not one of them.

> I think the intent was the latter, partly because I could almost make
> the same statement.  By choosing free software over proprietary
> software, I sometimes sacrifice some functionality, but I my experience
> tells me the commitment leads to unquantifiable benefits that trump the
> benefits I might have gained from the proprietary features.

Perhaps the feeilng of moral superiority didn't exist in the first
person I replied to, but it definitely popped up later.  The
'religion' term is a loaded one, so it was probably not the best
choice, but I'm not sure what to call beliefs that are held without a
solid logical foundation.  Not that I think holding such beliefs is
necessarily a bad thing, as I hold some as well, but one must
recognize where they come from when discussing things with other
people, since a principle that is not based on pure reason will not
hold over a person who does not share the faith (or whatever) that
brought about the principle in the first place.

                --Levi