Freedom and Greed

Jason Edwards jtanium at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 12:18:50 MST 2008

Levi,

Let me take a swing at it, I have a slightly different point of view
on this topic.

For me, closed-source software is morally wrong because it's built on
top of other people's ideas.  The better closed source products, like
OS X and Pixelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com/specs/) acknowledge
their use of other people's ideas (BSD and ImageMagick, respectively).
 But the point is, modern software is just a collection of ideas put
together in a new way.  When a programmer runs into a problem, what do
they do?  The vast majority go find how other people have solved the
problem.  We know this to be true because this exists:
http://www.google.com/codesearch  And I defy you to find a modern
piece of software that doesn't use at least one of the Gang-of-Four
patterns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Patterns).

As a programmer, while I haven't spent time examining the internals of
the Linux kernel, I have spent time inside Ruby on Rails, the Spring
Framework, much of the Apache software written in Java (Jakarta,
Tomcat, etc.), and many, many others.  And I have learned a tremendous
amount from seeing how others have done things.  It has made me a much
better programmer, and all the software I have written has benefited
from it.  The sad thing is, I don't do a good enough job of
attributing the ideas expressed in my code.  I try to put comments
here and there, but it's just not good enough.

What I'm trying to get at is, software isn't about the things you
click on on the screen, it's about the knowledge contained in the
source code.  And when someone goes and sells a product they claim to
be their own creation, when it largely isn't, it bothers me a lot.  I
mean, if they hadn't been able to "stand on the shoulders of giants"
would they have been able to build that piece of software?

You don't have to agree with it, but hopefully you can understand why
many Free Software advocates feel the way they do.

Jason