Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Jan 22 11:13:53 MST 2008

Von Fugal wrote:
> * Levi Pearson [Tue, 22 Jan 2008 at 10:33 -0700]
>> You think it's selfish that they don't give you the source code.  I
>> think it's selfish of you to think they should.  That's what I meant
>> by 'sense of entitlement'; I didn't mean that you literally thought
>> you were entitled to the source code.
>
> That's the interesting thing about sharing. Sharing is gracious and
> unselfish, but demanding someone else share with you, or not sharing
> yourself, are both selfish. I'm not demanding anything, I'm just saying
> what I think is selfish.

Levi will easily destroy general arguments like the one you're making
here. :-)  Proprietary software developers consistently argue they need
to put food on the table.  It's not selfish to desire to put food on the
table.  Furthermore, many companies release software in the open as an
advertising mechanism; you could call that quite selfish.

Shane