Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Tue Jan 22 10:40:54 MST 2008

* Levi Pearson [Tue, 22 Jan 2008 at 10:33 -0700]
<quote>
> Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> writes:
> > I never said I or anyone was entitled to anything. I may have meant
> > something along the lines of software writers aren't entitled to bring
> > their creations to the grave with them, but saying someone lacks a
> > certain entitlement doesn't necessitate another inverse entitlement. In
> > fact what I actually said was that it was selfish. Many people do
> > selfish things all the time, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
> > They are completely justified in a legal sense to being selfish, but
> > that doesn't make it not selfish.
>
> You think it's selfish that they don't give you the source code.  I
> think it's selfish of you to think they should.  That's what I meant
> by 'sense of entitlement'; I didn't mean that you literally thought
> you were entitled to the source code.

That's the interesting thing about sharing. Sharing is gracious and
unselfish, but demanding someone else share with you, or not sharing
yourself, are both selfish. I'm not demanding anything, I'm just saying
what I think is selfish.

> Is it selfish of architects to not give away the plans to their
> buildings for free?  Is it selfish of silicon manufacturers to not
> give away their netlists for free?  I don't see why Free Software
> people think that code is so special that it ought to be free by
> default to the point where people who *don't* free their code are
> somehow being nasty, rude, and anti-social.

So you would have all building plans ever be secret never again to be
seen by anyone even past the death of the architects? Wow, that's
progress there. We could still be struggling to build domes and arches.
I believe in the original copyright as set forth by the
founding fathers. I abhor this new copyright is intrinsic and automatic
and lasts forever paradigm. It stinks to high heaven.

Von Fugal