Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Jan 22 10:33:03 MST 2008

Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> writes:
> I never said I or anyone was entitled to anything. I may have meant
> something along the lines of software writers aren't entitled to bring
> their creations to the grave with them, but saying someone lacks a
> certain entitlement doesn't necessitate another inverse entitlement. In
> fact what I actually said was that it was selfish. Many people do
> selfish things all the time, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
> They are completely justified in a legal sense to being selfish, but
> that doesn't make it not selfish.

You think it's selfish that they don't give you the source code.  I
think it's selfish of you to think they should.  That's what I meant
by 'sense of entitlement'; I didn't mean that you literally thought
you were entitled to the source code.

Is it selfish of architects to not give away the plans to their
buildings for free?  Is it selfish of silicon manufacturers to not
give away their netlists for free?  I don't see why Free Software
people think that code is so special that it ought to be free by
default to the point where people who *don't* free their code are
somehow being nasty, rude, and anti-social.

                --Levi