Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Jan 22 10:15:39 MST 2008

Von Fugal <von at fugal.net> writes:

> In fact sad sad is the day you want to use an old piece of software
> (maybe a game, most likely in fact) that is long gone and not only no
> longer supported but it's not even purchasable AT ALL. It's terribly
> selfish of one to think that nobody will ever want to use their software
> and improve upon it once they are gone or have lost interest in it. That
> may be their "right" under current law, but it's a crying shame when it
> happens.

It's only sad in the sense that it's sad when you don't get your way.
It's just the way things work that if a manufactured product (and a
binary program is, in a way, manufactured from source code) ceases to
be produced and sold, then eventually you can't buy and use it easily
anymore.  Sure, it would be nice if people would open source their
software so that you could play all the old-school games you feel
nostalgic about, but they have no moral imperative to do so, and you
have no right to compel them to.

Free software advocates really do seem to have a tremendous sense of
entitlement!

                --Levi