Brad Midgley bmidgley at xmission.com
Tue Jan 22 09:34:44 MST 2008

Michael

> You've inadvertently confirmed what I am coming to fear.  That
> suspending doesn't just work.

as the joke goes, suspending works--it's the resume that has problems.

>  As you experience, hibernating to disk
> works for the vast majority of users on most laptops (or even desktops).
>  Mainly because it has nothing much to do with power management.
> Suspending, in my mind, means suspend to RAM (sleep).  I would be
> interested to hear of your experiences with this.

hibernate doesn't seem to depend on the hardware as much. My p1510
touchscreen won't work after hibernating... fortunately suspend
"usually" works for me. Sometimes it does hang. If I don't notice it
hung and put away the laptop then it gets really hot and wipes out the
battery. :(

That's what makes devices like Nokia n810, asus eee even more
interesting. It's got to be able to suspend using the OS they *ship*.

Brad