Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Tue Jan 22 00:29:16 MST 2008

* Levi Pearson [Mon, 21 Jan 2008 at 04:58 -0700]
> Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> writes:
> > Since OSS is developed in the open I am better able to learn
> > about/with it than its proprietary counterparts.  The freedom to
> > copy, study, and modify it is an excellent benefit that proprietary
> > SW by definition cannot offer.
>
> Yeah, I hear this a lot.  How much do you actually study and modify
> the Linux kernel?  How often do you look at the source code to
> Firefox?  Not very often, I'll bet.

I just have to interject here (gasp! is that vontrapp!! Yeah, up late
helping my wife with homework). Sure it may not be often that one might
look at/modify source of things they use. But it sure is nice to know
it's there! And furthermore it's a crying shame and cause for much
cursing when you _do_ need it and it's _not_ there.

Just the other day I needed to get into an Apple (*cough*) closed source
wireless network that uses a nonstandard to get the key from the
passphrase. (grumble about stupid proprietary junk) So I promptly found
some open source software to crack the key, which in turn required me to
use an open source patch to my open source wireless driver to insert
into my open source kernel, and in the end of the day, I'm able to crack
that key in a couple hours. Now let's just see anyone do that with
Windows or Mac. :p

Von Fugal