Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Jan 21 18:01:06 MST 2008

Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> writes:

> For my part I subscribe to the open culture as much as possible.  I
> don't expect anyone else to adhere to my 'principles'.  I can only
> explain what they are and why I think they are beneficial.  I hope that
> is understandable in explaining why I strongly prefer OSS.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is where free software
followers believe that there is some intrinsic benefit to using ONLY
free software.  The benefit that free software users provide to other
free software users is not orthodoxy, it's contribution back to the
community.  Contributions are no less valuable when submitted by
someone who also uses commercial software.

By this reasoning, someone who normally uses Windows or OS X but
contributes a lot to an important free software project is far more
valuable to the community than someone who exclusively uses free
software, but only makes minor contributions.  Thus, there is no value
in denying yourself the use of commercial software that you might
otherwise want to use.

There is another possible motive, which is essentially boycott of
commercial software.  The only purpose I can imagine for this is
putting commercial software vendors out of business, or at least
'punishing' them for violating your 'principles', which is a pretty
aggressively anti-social, if you ask me.

                --Levi