OT - Re: Linux laptops, revisited (can any sleep like my PowerBook does?)

Jason Edwards jtanium at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 14:30:40 MST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 2:03 PM, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> Jason Edwards wrote:
> > I've checked and recheck many times.  I don't run any widgets in
> > Dashboard.  I don't have any icons on the desktop (the window server
> > has to draw a window for each icon, even when you can't see them!).  I
> > also don't let any third party apps put anything in the menubar
> > (because it slows down redraws).  I only have iTerm, Firefox, Mail,
> > iTunes, and Eclipse open.  In the background I've got MySQL and
> > Mongrel (app server for Ruby on Rails).  I rarely have any swapspace
> > in use.  I suppose I could reboot everyday, but I like to pretend OS X
> > is better than Windows.
>
> I can assure you that what you are seeing is not typical.  I have no
> idea what the problem is, but OS X normally does not exhibit this
> behavior on the vast majority of Macs I've ever used (OS X!) or work on
> on a daily basis.

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is.  Other people don't seem to have
as many problems as I do.  On the flip-side, I put Ubuntu on my wife's
laptop, and it locks up on her all the time, usually when she launches
Firefox...

> > Linux, on the other hand, blah blah blah, stable for weeks at a time,
> > blah blah blah, consistent load avg of 1.0, blah blah blah, much less
> > resource intensive, blah blah blah, doesn't crash, blah blah blah.
> > (I'm preachin' to the choir, I'm sure).
>
> I do find Linux to be very stable.  And it's my preferred operating
> system for 90% of what I do.
>

> > I'm certain it's something that I do to computers though.  While most
> > Mac users have never seen a kernel panic, I've lost count how many
> > times OS X has kernel panic'ed on me.  I like to compile things by
> > hand. I script everything I can.  I'm just plain hard on computers.
>
> I've seen every OS under the sun crash for a variety of reasons.  Linux
> has some of the most spectacular crashes of any OS out there.  And I'm
> not talking about pretty crash screens. I'm talking about crash
> behavior.  One cool way to bring down a linux machine is to make a
> writable snapshot of a LVM partition of, say 2 GB, and then make more
> than 2 GB of changes to the original file system!  Be forewarned.  If
> you ever do this you have to boot on a rescue CD and manually destroy
> the snapshot.  Otherwise linux blows up when it sets up the volumes.

Crashing computers is fun -- all the cool kids do it!

> > On a separate note, ever since this thread started, my MacBook Pro has
> > decided it's doesn't like waking up from suspend...  Coincidence?
> > Yeah, I don't think so either.  Apple probably has some sophisticated
> > algorithm that can detect when people are talking poorly of their
> > products...  Please bear with me while I build up my karma:  "My
> > MacBook Pro is awesome!"  "I love my Mac!"  "Windows is crap!"
> > "FairPlay is totally reasonable!" "You should have to use iTunes to
> > use your iPod touch/iPhone" "Woz is the man!" "Steve Jobs can do no
> > wrong"
>
> Is this under OS X?  MacBook Pros have had many more hardware-related
> problems with sleep than any of the PowerBooks before them.  My first
> action is always to make sure I have the latest firmware installed.
> When that fails, I get the motherboard replaced.  Of course Apple is
> getting much worse about such thing.  At the same time their QA is going
> down, their willingness to change out parts and honor their warranties
> is also going down.  This fact does figure in to my decision on laptop
> buying.

Yes, this is under OS X, I put Linux on another computer.

Don't get me started on hardware... I've owned five Macs and only one
of them has never had any repairs done (it's a G4 iMac, the flat panel
with a round base, if you're curious). The MacBook Pro I have now is a
new one I got last July, because it's predecessor was all screwed up,
and after several trips to the Apple Store, they finally replaced it.
I've worked at two companies that are Mac-only shops, and we regularly
had/have to get Mac serviced.  Laptops seem to be a little worse than
desktops, but they all crap out eventually.  Now that I think about
it, I think my iMac is the only Mac I've known that hasn't had to be
repaired...

If you ever buy a Mac, make sure you buy the AppleCare Protection
Plan, chances are, you're gonna get your money's worth!

Jason