OT - Re: Linux laptops, revisited (can any sleep like my PowerBook does?)

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Jan 21 14:03:12 MST 2008

Jason Edwards wrote:
> I've checked and recheck many times.  I don't run any widgets in
> Dashboard.  I don't have any icons on the desktop (the window server
> has to draw a window for each icon, even when you can't see them!).  I
> also don't let any third party apps put anything in the menubar
> (because it slows down redraws).  I only have iTerm, Firefox, Mail,
> iTunes, and Eclipse open.  In the background I've got MySQL and
> Mongrel (app server for Ruby on Rails).  I rarely have any swapspace
> in use.  I suppose I could reboot everyday, but I like to pretend OS X
> is better than Windows.

I can assure you that what you are seeing is not typical.  I have no
idea what the problem is, but OS X normally does not exhibit this
behavior on the vast majority of Macs I've ever used (OS X!) or work on
on a daily basis.

> Linux, on the other hand, blah blah blah, stable for weeks at a time,
> blah blah blah, consistent load avg of 1.0, blah blah blah, much less
> resource intensive, blah blah blah, doesn't crash, blah blah blah.
> (I'm preachin' to the choir, I'm sure).

I do find Linux to be very stable.  And it's my preferred operating
system for 90% of what I do.

> I'm certain it's something that I do to computers though.  While most
> Mac users have never seen a kernel panic, I've lost count how many
> times OS X has kernel panic'ed on me.  I like to compile things by
> hand. I script everything I can.  I'm just plain hard on computers.

I've seen every OS under the sun crash for a variety of reasons.  Linux
has some of the most spectacular crashes of any OS out there.  And I'm
not talking about pretty crash screens. I'm talking about crash
behavior.  One cool way to bring down a linux machine is to make a
writable snapshot of a LVM partition of, say 2 GB, and then make more
than 2 GB of changes to the original file system!  Be forewarned.  If
you ever do this you have to boot on a rescue CD and manually destroy
the snapshot.  Otherwise linux blows up when it sets up the volumes.

> On a separate note, ever since this thread started, my MacBook Pro has
> decided it's doesn't like waking up from suspend...  Coincidence?
> Yeah, I don't think so either.  Apple probably has some sophisticated
> algorithm that can detect when people are talking poorly of their
> products...  Please bear with me while I build up my karma:  "My
> MacBook Pro is awesome!"  "I love my Mac!"  "Windows is crap!"
> "FairPlay is totally reasonable!" "You should have to use iTunes to
> use your iPod touch/iPhone" "Woz is the man!" "Steve Jobs can do no
> wrong"

Is this under OS X?  MacBook Pros have had many more hardware-related
problems with sleep than any of the PowerBooks before them.  My first
action is always to make sure I have the latest firmware installed.
When that fails, I get the motherboard replaced.  Of course Apple is
getting much worse about such thing.  At the same time their QA is going
down, their willingness to change out parts and honor their warranties
is also going down.  This fact does figure in to my decision on laptop
buying.