Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sun Jan 20 16:43:00 MST 2008

Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> writes:

> I just don't want to use software that doesn't allow me that
> freedom.  That's my personal choice.  Obviously I'm not going to
> need all of my software to be open source to have the same effect,
> but why settle for that?  It may seem religious to you but to me it
> is based on principle.

Religion and principles are often tied together, since religion is a
source of a great many principles that adherents need to follow.  To
the adherents, it makes sense to follow those principles, since
they're part of the whole religious package and there are typically
spiritual rewards promised for doing so.

However, if you assert that this particular principle is not part of
your religious beliefs (which I will define as things that you believe
based on faith rather than reason, unless you object to that
definition) then you must have some sound reasoning for following this
principle.  I'm curious what that reasoning is, since I haven't
personally found a sound reason for me to do so.  If it is indeed not
a faith-based reason, then you ought to have a reason that would
convince me.

You may call it a principle based on reason, but I suspect that it is
in fact a principle based on taking the edicts of the Free Software
Foundation on faith, making it essentially religious in nature.  The
whole good vs. evil dichotomy that the Free Software Foundation sets
up certainly smacks of religion to me, as does the attitude Free
Software adherents tend to have towards commercial, non-Free software.

                --Levi