Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 22:05:59 MST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 4:38 PM, Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> wrote:
> On AD 2008 January 19 Saturday 02:42:23 PM -0700, Justin Findlay wrote:
> > Um, that's not a religious decision.  It's about freedom.  I guess you
> > wouldn't understand since you're OK with whatever Apple puts out.

I would consider that to be a religious thing, but I also see your
point clearly, so we can agree to disagree on that.  I do happen to be
okay with _most_ of what Apple puts out.  For example, I choose to use
Pages over OpenOffice writer because Pages kicks OO writer in the
teeth.  There are a lot of apps that I use on my Mac that are free as
in beer, but not free as in completely open.  I use them A: because
there is no FOSS alternative that I've yet seen and liked, and B:
because I'm not willing to pay the premium price tag on Apple's
alternatives.

> In that case I guess religion goes both ways.  Similarly to what Michael
> points out the freedom issue to me is about me doing with my computer
> what I want in the way that I want/need whether it's changing the
> desktop theme or modifying a kernel module or custom patching an
> application.  Before you say 'but on OS X you can do all those things
> ...', you can't really do all of them.  OS X isn't completely open
> source and that's the deal breaker for me.  I just don't want to use
> software that doesn't allow me that freedom.  That's my personal choice.
> Obviously I'm not going to need all of my software to be open source to
> have the same effect, but why settle for that?  It may seem religious to
> you but to me it is based on principle.

Being based on principle is what I meant by "religious".  As I said
above, I've chosen to use what I consider works best for my needs,
with a price cap based on the necessity of being a poor student.  I'm
not saying that either of our choices is better than the other, which
is why--to me--it falls under the "religious debate" category.

What I am saying is that in my experience, OSX has proven exceptional
in speed, battery life, and utility (sleep/wake etc.).  It has
performed as well or better than the Linux/OSS equivalents I used
until last year.  I'm not an ardent supporter of closed source
software, but I am willing to pay a little for software that best
meets my needs (hence the fact that there are no Microsoft products in
my collection besides the ones I'm forced to use for classes).

--
Alex Esplin