Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Jan 18 16:47:51 MST 2008

Michael L Torrie wrote:
> Now giving up OS X will be very difficult, but it's bearable if Linux
> runs well on it.  People tell me that Thinkpads run Linux the best of
> any laptop out there.  However I have yet to hear of any laptop (even
> the EeePC!) that can successfully suspend and resume like my venerable
> PowerBook has always done.  Does anyone have Linux sleeping nicely on
> any laptop (especially a thinkpad)?  I mean can I just close the lid,
> have it pulse it's little power light, then pop the lid and start
> working?  I know many people have hibernate working, but that's not
> really what I want.  Maybe Apple has spoiled me, but it seems like this
> is a basic essential function.

Sleeping works perfectly on my T43.  In fact, I have verified that I can
fiddle things in /etc/acpi to make it so closing the lid does anything I
want.  (I suppose I could have it issue a command to a remotely
connected X10 radio bridge that turns off the lights around my desk...
heh :-) )

You've got to check out ThinkWiki.  I have found it amazingly informative.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T61
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_instructions_for_the_ThinkPad_T61

Shane