Mike Lovell toelovell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 16:39:16 MST 2008

Michael L Torrie wrote:
> So I'm almost in the market for a new laptop.  My old machine is a
> PowerBook 12" with OSX.  Right now my choice is really between a
> Thinkpad T61 14" and a MacBook.  I would be interested in the Thinkpad
> X61, but I really kind of like the trackpad.
>
> Now giving up OS X will be very difficult, but it's bearable if Linux
> runs well on it.  People tell me that Thinkpads run Linux the best of
> any laptop out there.  However I have yet to hear of any laptop (even
> the EeePC!) that can successfully suspend and resume like my venerable
> PowerBook has always done.  Does anyone have Linux sleeping nicely on
> any laptop (especially a thinkpad)?  I mean can I just close the lid,
> have it pulse it's little power light, then pop the lid and start
> working?  I know many people have hibernate working, but that's not
> really what I want.  Maybe Apple has spoiled me, but it seems like this
> is a basic essential function.
>
> What are my chances?  Should I just abandon the idea of a Linux laptop
> and buy a MacBook?

I just did a quick test on my laptop and it worked great. Mine is a Dell
Latitude D420 and I am running openSuSE 10.3. I had to make a change in
the power management because I usually set laptop to stay on all of the
time whether I am in windows or linux. After I made that change, I
closed the laptop and it went to sleep. It even gave me a "breathing"
power light. Open the lid and every thing comes back including
reconnecting to the wireless network. And it did it pretty quick. So it
is definitely possible.

Mike