What are the right questions to ask?

Nathan kemotaha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 21:23:16 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:59 -0700, Steve wrote:
> The person in charge of IT there is pretty technically proficient.
> We were planning to test all the windows apps in wine first, but even
> if they didn't work in Linux, they could keep the XP desktops and just
> migrate the mail/file/print server.
>
> The big question is... Do they have anything running that they depend
> on, that they aren't taking into consideration.
> Thats pretty much my only worry with it.
>
> Linux isn't uber anymore folks.  My 10 year old niece runs it
> exclusively on her laptop.  Her mother is the "sys-admin" for their
> home.  Neither of these people are really "computer people".  My 70
> something year old mother runs her Neuros OSD and even upgraded her
> own firmware the other night, she called me and let me know... I'm so
> impressed :)
> My wife (who owns a Mac incidently), recommended to her girlfriend
> that she ditch windows and install Linux.
>
> And a few minutes ago I even just found a tutorial on using gutsy as
> replacement for a Windows Server 2003 Primary Domain Controller.

A couple of things I need to pipe up on because I have been there and
done that.  First off the mail server is the easy part.  In fact moving
most of the server stuff takes planning but isn't too bad.

However, If you have ever worked with Samba as a PDC.  It is not a
trivial thing.  It takes a while to figure out.  There are tons of
different configurations like using LDAP as a backend or using the flat
files.  There are tutorials out there but there is always!!! something
that comes up that the tutorial didn't cover.

In addition, Samba can't not fully replace a windows 2003 environment.
It is not there yet.  It doesn't fully use kerberos yet, which is
central to Win2K3.  Now, it functions as a PDC great.  Just more like a
Win2K one.  Samba 4 will be a replacement for Win2K3 and AFAIK it isn't
out yet.

Hope that helps.

Nathan