What are the right questions to ask?

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Thu Jan 17 17:44:14 MST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 1:59 PM, Steve wrote:
<snip>

> Linux isn't uber anymore folks.  My 10 year old niece runs it
> exclusively on her laptop.  Her mother is the "sys-admin" for their
> home.  Neither of these people are really "computer people".  My 70
> something year old mother runs her Neuros OSD and even upgraded her
> own firmware the other night, she called me and let me know... I'm so
> impressed :)
> My wife (who owns a Mac incidently), recommended to her girlfriend
> that she ditch windows and install Linux.

Let me say in advance that I am not trying to bash Linux here, merely
point out some of the things that need to be considered when
switching an organization (not an individual) to a new operating
system.  Linux is great, but to think that it doesn't still have some
work to do (even with all the advances of the last few years) to make
it an operating system for the masses would be naive.

Switching operating systems is something that is going to be of
varying degrees of difficulty for everyone.  I wouldn't bring up a 10
year old WITH HER OWN LAPTOP who runs Linux as an example of normalcy
or the average person of that age group.  I wouldn't bring up a 70
year old mother with a Neuros OSD as the norm either.  My wife's 70
year old grandmother can't even figure out how to get to our blog
when we send her an email with the link in it, so my wife has to call
her and talk her through it every couple of weeks. (and no, I am not
exaggerating)  Technical competency and comfort level with technology
varies SO widely it is hard to make any sort of accurate guess, but I
will give you my thoughts based on my experiences as a software
engineer in companies comprised mostly of non-technical people.

The biggest hurdles you are going to have to overcome are not
necessarily technical, but social/mental.  Re-training is one
example.  Most non-technical people I know only really care about
getting their stuff done, and they learn how to use the applications
they are given to accomplish that task.  Switching an accountant who
is a heavy Excel user (tons of macros and formulas) over to using
OpenOffice would be a bit of a shock (last time I tried OpenOffice,
there were still some differences in formulas and the available
functions, and macros recorded in Excel wouldn't work at all, don't
know if that has changed or not).  Moving someone who uses a
spreadsheet with embedded Visual Basic would be even harder.  Have
these people ever used OpenOffice?  Would they be comfortable
switching?  How much time would be lost in getting them up to speed
in their new environment.  There are certainly technical challenges
as well.  Someone who uses an IE-only website for 75% of their work
probably isn't a good candidate to move to Linux or some other non-
Windows variant.  If the same application they are used to isn't
available on the target platform, then you are going to have to
either run it in emulation or find an alternative and deal with re-
training.  What are they using for accounting software?  Quickbooks
or the like?  What is the feasibility of migrating that data?  How do
they manage their customers (CRM software, spreadsheet, custom
application)?  Do they have a large investment in commercial software
that they use all the time?  Is one of their employees a graphic
artist or some such?  Do they produce any sort of marketing materials
(flyers, posters, etc), and if so, what do they use to produce them?
These questions and many, many more all need to be asked before you
can really gauge the feasibility of what you are proposing.  They can
all be overcome, but it requires time or money or both, and it could
be quite substantial in both areas.

Now, switching a single individual over to Linux (particularly at
home) is different than moving an entire small/medium/large business
to Linux.  If you don't know how to do something at home, you may be
out a couple of evenings while you tinker and become accustomed to
your new OS.  If that same thing happens to an entire office for
several days or weeks, it's not just a few movies or story time with
your kids that you will miss, but the business could potentially lose
a lot of money.

Not sure if that helped, but I would be wary of thinking that because
two unique people you know who are 10 and 70 are comfortable with
Linux that an office of people who are probably non-technical will be
as enthusiastic about having what is comfortable taken away and
replaced with something quite foreign.