What are the right questions to ask?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Jan 17 14:40:52 MST 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 at 13:59 -0700, Steve wrote:
> The person in charge of IT there is pretty technically proficient.
> We were planning to test all the windows apps in wine first, but even
> if they didn't work in Linux, they could keep the XP desktops and just
> migrate the mail/file/print server.
>
> The big question is... Do they have anything running that they depend
> on, that they aren't taking into consideration.
> Thats pretty much my only worry with it.
>
> Linux isn't uber anymore folks.  My 10 year old niece runs it
> exclusively on her laptop.  Her mother is the "sys-admin" for their
> home.  Neither of these people are really "computer people".  My 70
> something year old mother runs her Neuros OSD and even upgraded her
> own firmware the other night, she called me and let me know... I'm so
> impressed :)
> My wife (who owns a Mac incidently), recommended to her girlfriend
> that she ditch windows and install Linux.

I can almost admin linux in my sleep, and I would guess this transition
would take me 1-2 weeks to really iron out. Before I was a professional
sysadmin I knew linux quite well, but it would have taken me 1 month at
least, probably more.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach