What are the right questions to ask?

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:59:51 MST 2008

The person in charge of IT there is pretty technically proficient.
We were planning to test all the windows apps in wine first, but even
if they didn't work in Linux, they could keep the XP desktops and just
migrate the mail/file/print server.

The big question is... Do they have anything running that they depend
on, that they aren't taking into consideration.
Thats pretty much my only worry with it.

Linux isn't uber anymore folks.  My 10 year old niece runs it
exclusively on her laptop.  Her mother is the "sys-admin" for their
home.  Neither of these people are really "computer people".  My 70
something year old mother runs her Neuros OSD and even upgraded her
own firmware the other night, she called me and let me know... I'm so
impressed :)
My wife (who owns a Mac incidently), recommended to her girlfriend
that she ditch windows and install Linux.

Obviously I'm not going to recommend they roll their own distro, but I
agree with the sentiments of going with Ubuntu for this company
migration thing.  I also agree that it should require a step back, a
big deep breath and a full re-assesment of what they are using it for.

I'm planning to recommend they remove mail serving from within the
office at all, and send it some place safe, lest the server grow legs
and walk off, or catch fire and they lose all there data, effectively
putting them out of business.

And a few minutes ago I even just found a tutorial on using gutsy as
replacement for a Windows Server 2003 Primary Domain Controller.

Anyways these are my thoughts.
Any rebuttals?

Sincerely,
Steve