What are the right questions to ask?

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Jan 17 13:11:40 MST 2008

Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> Of the distros that I have used I have been most impressed with
> Gentoo.  I worked at Novell for a couple of years so I got to work
> with SuSE and enjoyed that one also.  A couple good questions that
> need to be asked are:  Will there be a dedicated Linux admin on site?
> and, What flavor does that Linux admin like best.  Linux is Linux,
> just like ice cream is ice cream.  The different flavors just suit
> different tastes.

While Gentoo has many benefits, the Gentoo community has no channel for
pure security updates.  The glsa-check tool helps you discover holes in
your system, but frequently, patching the hole requires pulling in many
updates unrelated to the security hole and "fixing" things that were not
broken.  Therefore, keeping Gentoo systems secure requires more frequent
attention from a competent administrator.

Distributions like Debian, Ubuntu, and Centos, OTOH, provide a channel
for pure security updates and are thus much more appropriate for
creating low-maintenance systems.  The downside of these distributions
is that most of the software is versioned together, and it's often
difficult to upgrade a package without upgrading to a whole new version
of the distribution.

Shane