Computers Gone Wild!

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Jan 16 11:34:11 MST 2008

Steve wrote:
> Here is /proc/interrupts
>
> laptop:~$ sudo cat  /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0       CPU1
>   0:    2442731     144402    XT-PIC-XT        timer
>   1:         49          5    XT-PIC-XT        i8042
>   2:          0          0    XT-PIC-XT        cascade
>   5:        114         13    XT-PIC-XT        sata_nv
>   7:     144946    2448593    XT-PIC-XT        ehci_hcd:usb2
>   8:          0          0    XT-PIC-XT        rtc
>   9:        417         96    XT-PIC-XT        acpi, ndiswrapper
>  10:         24         12    XT-PIC-XT        HDA Intel, eth0
>  11:       1944        188    XT-PIC-XT        ohci_hcd:usb1, nvidia
>  12:       3428        265    XT-PIC-XT        i8042
>  14:         23         10    XT-PIC-XT        ide0
> NMI:          0          0
> LOC:    2577218    2577195
> ERR:       1003
>
> Not sure what it means there but looks like an error code of some sort
> is in there, what do I check to find out?

That seems to be a big clue.  I just checked several computers,
including a desktop, a laptop, and some servers, and the ERR count is 0
on all of them.  Google turned this up:

This fellow said that the "noapic" option was not sufficient, and that
compiling the kernel without APIC support fixed it.  If you're
comfortable with compiling kernels then you should consider that as a
next step; the process is not bad at all once you understand it.

OTOH, you have an SMP system, probably dual-core.  Full APIC support is
generally recommended for SMP.  Instead of disabling the APIC, maybe you
should work on getting the APIC to work properly.  The last time I
bought a computer, the APIC had problems until I upgraded the BIOS.

Shane