Feds to probe Comcast's BitTorrent busting

Chris plug.org at 2nerds.com
Mon Jan 14 18:05:35 MST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 5:29 PM, Chris Carey <chris.carey at gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIK, from 0 to 100gigs is one flat fee, after the 100 gigs there is
> a additional fee per meg/per gig. Similar to a cell phone bill.

Yup.  Unlike Xmission's DSL service, Xmission residential UTOPIA circuits
are metered with 100 GB/month included in the monthly fee.  Above 100
GB/month, Xmission charges for additional UTOPIA bandwidth.  That's their
official policy, anyway.  Having yet to exceed the monthly cap myself, I
don't know how strictly the policy is enforced.

UTOPIA itself charges ISPs on a per-bit basis, so Xmission is just passing
costs on to those who use the bits.

I cut WAY back on bittorrent traffic when I switched from a DSL line to
UTOPIA.  I guess that's what happens when the bits are no longer "free".  I
find it odd that UTOPIA bills by the bit, but maybe *I'm* just odd that way.

Chris