Feds to probe Comcast's BitTorrent busting

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Jan 14 17:19:04 MST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 17:07 -0700, MT Morales wrote:
> hmm... does Utopia charge for exceeding your bandwidth utilization cap?

As I understand Utopia (I am not a customer, but have followed it
somewhat), they charge the ISP for each bit that the customer uses. The
ISP is free to bill for that as they see fit. They can either aggregate
the costs and offer simple unlimited plans, hoping to make up for heavy
uses with a lot of light users. Or they could cap and charge extra. Or
they could meter usage.

Corey