Embedded Perl?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Jan 13 22:51:52 MST 2008

Steve wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm curious to know if anyone has seen or heard of a version of Perl
> targeting embedded applications.
> I realize that the full power of Perl may be too much for your average
> embedded system, but Perl seems like a good language to me for some
> embedded apps.

I'm heavily biased, but I think Python is a good candidate for embedded
applications.  This isn't exactly embedded in my opinion, but the OLPC
is almost exclusively written in python and it works well in a
limited-resource environment.  I think Python's memory use is a bit more
deterministic than perl's (based on the other comments in this thread).

On the other hand, I have heard of perl being used in embedded systems
before, so who knows.