Embedded Perl?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sun Jan 13 21:19:06 MST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 9:08 PM, Andrew Jorgensen <andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Perl is a profligate wastrel when it comes to memory use. There is a
> saying that to estimate memory usage of Perl, assume a reasonable
> algorithm for memory allocation, multiply that estimate by 10, and
> while you still may miss the mark, at least you won't be quite so
> astonished. This is not absolutely true, but may provide a good grasp
> of what happens."
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perldebguts.pod#Debugging_Perl_memory_usage
>
> The rest of that section is equally entertaining, a good read.  No,
> perl is not good for embedded use.

Well, as I said, resources available in embedded systems vary.  If you
browse through a catalog of single-board computers, you'll find plenty
that have specs that exceed what you had on your desktop a couple of
years ago, and perl would run as well on them as it would on anything
else.  But you shouldn't even think about running it on a typical
microcontroller, and it's probably a dismal choice for systems with
limited ram and persistent storage.  I.e., keep it off your gumstix,
but think about it on an Epia board with plenty of RAM and Flash/disk
space.

        --Levi