Embedded Perl?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 21:08:19 MST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 4:50 PM, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:
> Anyway, perl tends to be big and slow enough that it only really makes
> sense in the most generously-endowed embedded systems.  There are
> plenty of generously-endowed embedded systems around, but they've
> already got pretty much a full Linux or Windows environment on them,
> so perl on them is just like perl anywhere else.

Don't get me started on this.  I worked on an otherwise awesome (okay,
I'm biased but since I didn't write it originally I'm allowed) build
automation system that would sometimes run out of memory.  I'm sure
there are things I could do to fix this but in my search for a way to
figure out why it was happening I came across this gem in the perl
documentation:

"Perl is a profligate wastrel when it comes to memory use. There is a
saying that to estimate memory usage of Perl, assume a reasonable
algorithm for memory allocation, multiply that estimate by 10, and
while you still may miss the mark, at least you won't be quite so
astonished. This is not absolutely true, but may provide a good grasp
of what happens."
http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perldebguts.pod#Debugging_Perl_memory_usage

The rest of that section is equally entertaining, a good read.  No,
perl is not good for embedded use.