Embedded Perl?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sun Jan 13 16:50:14 MST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 9:25 AM, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm curious to know if anyone has seen or heard of a version of Perl
> targeting embedded applications.
> I realize that the full power of Perl may be too much for your average
> embedded system, but Perl seems like a good language to me for some
> embedded apps.

Embedded systems vary a lot, but the one thing that is constant is
that a device with an embedded system has a fixed hardware
configuration and thus fixed computing resources.  The hardware
business tends to have very thin margins compared to the software
business, so it's not all that often that you get to splurge on CPU
power.  In especially high-volume markets, shaving a few pennies off
the cost of an embedded CPU can save millions of dollars.  So the
traditional 'development time is more expensive than hardware' truism
is not quite as true, though time-to-market is still critical.

Anyway, perl tends to be big and slow enough that it only really makes
sense in the most generously-endowed embedded systems.  There are
plenty of generously-endowed embedded systems around, but they've
already got pretty much a full Linux or Windows environment on them,
so perl on them is just like perl anywhere else.

        --Levi