Embedded Perl?

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Sun Jan 13 13:34:36 MST 2008

On Sun, January 13, 2008 09:25, Steve wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm curious to know if anyone has seen or heard of a version of Perl
> targeting embedded applications.
> I realize that the full power of Perl may be too much for your average
> embedded system, but Perl seems like a good language to me for some
> embedded apps.

There have been several implementations of Perl on various mobile/embedded
devices. At the end of the day, it depends significantly on the architecture
of the device. A quick google search yielded all kinds of surprising devices
Perl had been compiled for, like this one:

http://ipodlinux.org/Perl

It seems like if you can get uClinux running on your device, your are a long
ways there to getting a cross-compiled Perl running. Of course, there may be
significant restrictions with what you can do with it, depending on the arch.

And I do agree that there are some very interesting things you could do with
it if you put in the significant work around it to ensure a complete
environment. Here is the board I play around with:

http://www.azpower.com/H8-uClinux/

-Ryan