Java for x plat installs?

Bart Whiteley bart.plug at whiteley.org
Fri Jan 11 18:29:46 MST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 4:47 PM, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> This is a question meant for those out there who work with Java on a
> daily basis.
>
> I've been playing with the Zend studio, and I just noticed that the
> installer is a self executing JRE of some sort.
> Does anyone know where I can find out what kind of blackart allows
> that to be a reality?
> This is working even on a distro where I didn't have a JRE installed
> previously.
> I think it's really cool and it seems to be the same on every distro
> I've run the installer on, I think this could be a good way to package
> apps in the future.

Luckily I don't work with Java on a daily basis, but I've used Makeself [1]
in the past to create a single-file installer with a self executing JRE that
launches a GUI installer.  The Linux installer for GoogleEarth also uses
Makeself (run 'head GoogleEarthLinux.bin'), so it's not Java specific at
all.

[1] http://megastep.org/makeself/