Academics slam Java

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Jan 11 09:36:38 MST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 8:24 AM, Carl Youngblood <carl at youngbloods.org> wrote:
> Based merely on your description, sounds like what these guys want to
> be are some high-paid non-replaceable ivory tower academics.  While I
> agree that some languages are more productive than others, I think it
> would be naive to claim that these aspects of languages are the main
> causes of poor software quality and software project failures.

Not quite an accurate depiction of what the article says.  You might
want to read it, it's actually pretty reasonable if you try to see
what they're saying instead of knee-jerking.

What they want is not ivory-tower academics, but people who actually
know how computers work and how software is interpreted by machines.
They also want people who are able to use currently available (but not
widely used) tools to write secure, reliable software.  What they
don't want is people who only know how to plug pre-built library
functions together in a GUI app-builder without any real understanding
of what they're telling the computer to do.