Network Solutions is domain front running. Anyone else doing it?

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Tue Jan 8 13:49:22 MST 2008

I have had problems in the past with godaddy registering a domain that
I searched for there, but did not register. I have seen other
registrars (123domains comes to mind) do the same thing as well. For
that reason, I have always done my searches on netsol.com, because I
have never had a problem with Network Solutions pulling that kind of
crap.

I have also noticed however that when I search for something on
netsol.com, that domain often becomes unavailable from other
registrars for anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours, and
then it becomes available again.

I'm curious if that is really what you are experiencing, or if Network
Solutions really has found a way to be even more evil.

On Jan 8, 2008 1:36 PM, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> I was checking my news today and noticed that network solutions is
> domain front running.
> As you probably already know, this is the practice of registering
> domains as they are being searched for.
> I've tested it my self a few times and I can confirm that this is going on.
> Go to networksolutions.com and type in a random string of characters.
> Good chance it will say it's available to register.
> Now if you go to godaddy.com , register.com or pretty much anywhere
> else and run the same random string it will show that the domain is
> now unavailable.
>
> I only ever have used godaddy, register and NSI, near as I can tell
> NSI is the only one doing this right now.
> I guess I can see a business case for this, i.e. the domain was
> searched for, so lets snatch it up so the guy/gal buying it doesn't
> lose it while trying to register.
> But honestly either all registrars should do this or no registrar
> should do this.
> Also NSI is in a priviledged position in that they are the primary
> registrar for .com i.e. all .com domains are doled out by network
> solutions.
> Has anyone noticed similar behavior with other registrars?
>
> Sincerely,
> Steve

Joseph
http://blog.josephhall.com/