Interesting Language Rant

Chris plug.org at 2nerds.com
Tue Jan 8 12:21:59 MST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 10:43 AM, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:

> And no, Eiffel is not everything Ada is and
> more.  It's worth learning its Design By Contract philosophy, though.

Ahh, Design By Contract.  I'll reinforce the DBC sentiment by recommending
Bertrand Meyer's book "Object Oriented Software Construction", which is
perhaps one of the best and most eye-opening books ever written about
software design.  I ran across (the "Orange" edition of) that book a decade
into my career, and it bent my mind in entirely beneficial and pleasurable
ways.  And for reasons which have nothing whatever to do with object
orientation or Eiffel.  Don't be put off by the title: the book is about
software construction much more than it's about object orientation.  If you
want to learn what programming is about, you could do a lot worse than to
read OOSC.  Highly recommended.

Chris