Interesting Language Rant

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 10:36:54 MST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 9:58 AM,  <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:
> Even though he is an Ada bigot, I have to agree somewhat.  Java, Python,
> Perl, Ruby, etc. probably shouldn't be the core of a curriculum because
> they're too high-level.   But if you learn C and assembly, I don't see any
> reason not to use them.
>
> Whatta y'all think?

For as much of a Java bigot as I am, I agree that Java (or any
high-level language) shouldn't be the core of a curriculum.  I started
in C and wrote a lot of useful software with it.  Starting with a
low-level language will give a person a better base, and allow them to
appreciate higher level languages.

I don't think that C#/Java/Python/Perl would be bad 101 class
languages.  But you'd better introduce students to C and ASM shortly
there after.

-Bryan