Interesting Language Rant

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 10:15:43 MST 2008

What would be the practical implications of learning a language such as Ada?
I've wanted to learn some of these more obscure languages for well
over a decade, but you'ld be hard pressed to a find a book that
teaches application development in Lisp, Ada, COBOL, Fortran, or
pretty much any language which predates ANSI C.
I would LOVE to learn these languages, but alas the only one I've had
any success with is LISP and thats only because AutoCAD still uses it
and there were a ton of example applications to learn from, even then
though they were limited to the AutoCAD dialect of LISP which I
understand isn't really LISP either.  Even with that said, I am still
a complete noob with LISP.

Thoughts?