Hiring Software Engineers

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Jan 7 18:41:59 MST 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 04:18:35PM -0700, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 3:07 PM, Ben Reece <breece at doba.com> wrote:

> You understood me.  If you want a good engineer you should expect to
> pay him more.  The guys I knew in college who I'd say were good
> engineers (though less experienced, as you say) made more than 40k
> when we graduated two years ago and housing and fuel costs have gone
> up a lot since then.  Some of us did, anyway, and we all deserved to.

What you "deserve" is irrelevant. I think I deserve several million
dollars a year. For some reason, those ingrates out there just aren't
giving it to me.

The question is, what will the market bear? If Mr. Reece can get his
employees within the stated salary range, then the market has spoken
in his favor. If, ceteris paribus, he's back on the market in a few
months with a higher range, then the market has spoken against him.