Hiring Software Engineers

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:18:35 MST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 3:07 PM, Ben Reece <breece at doba.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by '?', but I'm guessing you're suggesting
> that the relatively low salary combined with the 'good engineer' comment
> are mutually exclusive.  What I mean to communicate is that we're
> looking for engineers who are less experienced (entry- to mid-level; 0-5
> years) but have the ability & desire to grow into great engineers
> through experience and mentoring.  Does that answer your question?  I
> hope that's more clear.

You understood me.  If you want a good engineer you should expect to
pay him more.  The guys I knew in college who I'd say were good
engineers (though less experienced, as you say) made more than 40k
when we graduated two years ago and housing and fuel costs have gone
up a lot since then.  Some of us did, anyway, and we all deserved to.

Unless you consider campus jobs and internships to be real experience
(I believe it is) but generally nobody seems to think so.

Thanks very much for posting the target salary though, I think we all
appreciate that.