application architecture

Andres Gonzalez gonzo at agoralabs.com
Sat Jan 5 12:22:19 MST 2008

I have a couple of question about software architecture.

As an example to start off with, think of a little Linksys router. You
configure all of the router parameters thru a common web/browser
interface. Then you save all of your operating parameters and the
application (in this case the router) uses all of the new runtime
parameters that were setup using the browser.

I need to add similar features to a linux application to allow all of
the runtime configuration parameters to be accessible using a
web/browser interface. I have most of the application part already
developed (C/C++) and running as a typical linux application. It
currently gets its runtime parameters/options using a configuration
file that the application reads upon startup.

I am not sure what the best architecture should be to add a web
configuration-setting interface to this linux application. I have
written some Perl CGI scripts before, but with those I was just
staying within the web environment. What I want to do now is have an
interface between the browser and a separate application running on
the box.

Is Perl the best way to develop this?  How should I pass data from my
Perl script to my running application?  Should I do it like the
startup scripts for booting linux? That is, should the Perl scripts
write new runtime parameters to a configuration file and then signal
the application to re-read the configuration file?

Any other insights on how you would develop this type of application?

Thanks,

-Andres