Process Watchdog Daemon

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Wed Jan 2 22:42:01 MST 2008

I am looking for a watchdog daemon that monitors individual processes
(given a pid file for each one), and restarts one if its pid is found to
not be running. This is different than the typical watchdog, which would
reboot the entire computer if a problem were found. Does this exist? I
would also like for it to quit watchdogging a process if it continually
crashes (i.e., if it is restarted N times in M seconds), or at least
slow down on the restart interval. Any ideas?

--Dave